Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Building collapse kills man
A massive collapse of a Brooklyn home under construction left one person dead Tuesday.
According to authorities, the collapse happened at a home on Frank Court in the Gerritsen Beach section.
One of the victims, described as a 25-year-old male, was transported to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
At the time of the collapse, a total of five workers were working inside the vacant home. Despite minor injuries, the 4 workers all refused medical attention.
The one fatality has yet to be identified.
It wasn't immediately clear what caused the collapse.
Emergency crews are on the scene, assessing the damage.
From CBS 2:
Authorities told CBS 2′s John Slattery it appears the addition was not properly anchored or supported.
“The existing structure was an old bungalow. It appears the existing structure could not support the second story addition based on what we see so far, said LiMandri.
The work was being done by JD Construction of Brooklyn, and though the Buildings Department said permits were in order, there may have been illegal work done prior to 2004. Since then, the property has changed ownership.