Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Shop owners sue city over ramp accidents
From the NY Post:
Two Queens shops shuttered after out-of-control cars plowed into their storefronts not once but twice — and within just nine days of each other — have filed a $1 million lawsuit, blaming a 59th Street Bridge exit ramp.
Espinal Caribbean Restaurant II had been open four years in Long Island City when the first crash happened in March 2011.
“It was a major setback and years of work evaporated,’’ owner Tony Espinal said. “But then the second crash!
“And then the third crash!” he said, referring to yet another in which a car sped toward the shops, only to be stopped by scaffolding erected after the earlier accidents.
Joining Espinal, 44, in the suit is Villa De Beauté hair-salon owner Akber Jiwani, 32.
The owners of the two smashed storefronts on Queens Plaza South teamed up to sue the city, the Department of Transportation, and the drivers for damages.
The destruction of their shops and their ensuing business losses were caused by “negligently planned and/or designed traffic patterns . . . leading to the location of the incident which constitutes a hazardous and/or dangerous condition,” according to their lawsuit, recently filed in Queens Supreme Court.