Thursday, December 16, 2010

Darryl is Douglaston's Santa Claus

From Douglaston Patch:

Mets legend Darryl Strawberry said he chose Douglaston over Manhattan as the locale for his restaurant to thank Queens residents for supporting him during his years of playing in the borough.

Now, the former slugger is mulling over ways to give back to the community, such as coordinating charity events with Strawberry's Bar and Grill, located at 42-15 235th St., and working with local schools.

"I wanted to be back in the area where I played for four years," Strawberry said of his eatery, which opened in August. "So, this is for Mets fans. Queens is my home more than any other place."

Strawberry said he plans for the restaurant to have a charity component through which he will raise money for children with autism or youngsters who lost their parents during the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center.

He also hopes to get involved with local schools or Little League teams.

In the meantime, Strawberry makes his way to Queens five times per month from his home in Missouri to visit his business.

9 comments:

Deke DaSilva said...

Mets legend Darryl Strawberry said he chose Douglaston over Manhattan as the locale for his restaurant

Makes more sense really for it to be in Queens than Manhattan.

I saw Darryl in LaGuardia a couple years ago, I think it was the day after the last game at Shea Stadium, the shoeshine guy started chatting him up.

He seems to have cleaned up his act and turned his life around. Darryl earned my respect on May 19, 1998, after Orioles pitcher Armando Benitez drilled Tino Martinez in the back. According to ESPN:

Yankee pitcher Graeme Lloyd became so incensed at the spectacle that he raced in from the bullpen to get in a lick at Benitez. The fight moved toward the O's dugout, with Darryl Strawberry throwing what the Baltimore Sun called a "sucker punch" at Benitez, swinging so hard that he ended up in the Baltimore dugout. Then Alan Mills pounded Strawberry, bloodying his face.

Everyone needs a friend like Darryl to watch your back - in Tino's case - literally!

Babs said...

Always loved Darryl!!!

I forgot about his restaurant - this post reminded me.

Anonymous said...

Great place! Right across from the LIRR station. Keith Hernandez will be ther Friday night.

Queens Crapper said...

I've eaten there and it's pretty good. Better than a typical sports bar. I hope they can sustain their traffic because I was there on a Saturday afternoon and it was very quiet. And his brother is the manager. There's a resemblance.

Anonymous said...

Just shows that it is never too late in life to have class. Best of luck Darryl, and welcome back to Queens!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Darryl!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to queens

Anonymous said...

"Just shows that it is never too late in life to have class"

Darryl ALWAYS had class, he was just doing cocaine alot. One can still have class even if they're abusing substances (yes he was ABUSING cocaine). Despite all his problems engaging in libertine activities he always donated to charities that were worthy.

Why don't you blow me poster #5.

Anonymous said...

Darryl ALWAYS had class, he was just doing cocaine alot. One can still have class even if they're abusing substances (yes he was ABUSING cocaine). Despite all his problems engaging in libertine activities he always donated to charities that were worthy.

Why don't you blow me poster #5.
----------------------------------
Hey dick, why don't you relax a bit! I was actually complimenting the man, and I don't think I was being too hard on him or his past, considering all the trust he violated when he was having his problems. I give him ALOT of credit for cleaning up his life, and for the positive direction he has taken. Regardless, none of that can change his past and the disdain I and alot of other baseball fans felt for him back then. He was a great player, but he threw alot of his career and his life away. That is how I felt about the Darryl of yestaerdy. Today is a new day, and I have a renewed respect for him and the man he has become. I support him and his endeavors, and I wish him the best success, and I pray that the past remains the past.