Saturday, August 1, 2009

NYPD chopper lands on Maspeth soccer field

From the Daily News:

An NYPD chopper made an emergency landing early Saturday, flying low over some homes in Queens before safely setting down in a soccer field, a witness said.

The helicopter landed on the Metropolitan Oval Soccer Field in Maspeth just before 3 a.m., police said.

No one was injured.

It's unclear why the helicopter pilot felt the need to make an emergency landing. The aircraft had no mechanical problems, police said.


Interesting that the field's lights just happened to be on at that hour.

In other news, the film "Couple of Cops" starring Bruce Willis and "The Bounty" starring Jennifer Aniston have been taking turns filming in that very area all night just about every night (including last night) for a few weeks now causing major driving, parking and bus riding problems for area residents.

But I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

10 comments:

-Joe said...

--I was an actor
The chopper was likly requested for a a shot.

They could have also been picking somebody up to go make the 5AM to LAX.
The cops just claim 'secureity detail" don't have to tell the public anything.
The same sort of thing with Paul McCartney when he was late to the Billy Joel concert. He ran out of the airplane and through LGA terminal with 2 cops, his Hoffner Bass strapped on, out into a waiting cop car.



Remember the AF-1 photo op over Manhattan ?

Anonymous said...

It does'nt surprise me that they landed in Maspeth because they are always flying over Maspeth. I always hear them around 2-3 a.m.. They fly low and close to the houses. I am surprised it does'nt wake up more people with the noise. When I complained about it, I was told they don't fly over Maspeth.What's up with them altogether? Why? why? why? The police wont come here by car but by helicopter?

Anonymous said...

That's called "buzzing". One of their friends or colleagues probably lives in the area and they came by to say hello.

Yes - the aviation cops actually do this when they are bored.

Anonymous said...

Yep they won't show up for a quality of life complaint like thugs blasting regaeton out of their illegal basement apt at 1 am, but I saw about 20 of them surrounding the shooting the other night. It downright felt as though I was living in Manhattan for a second.

Anonymous said...

Will Jennifer Aniston ever get married? Supermarket tabloid want to know. The rest of us couldn't care less.

panzer65 said...

These people who make movies here are paying the city to use its streets and tax paying citizens' money and space. Wonder if all that money paid for the police manpower that was just used, not to mention the noise being made at 3 am.Oh, and Jennifer Aniston will never get married....

georgetheatheist said...

Who is Jennifer Aniston?

Anonymous said...

They don't pay taxes. They get tax incentives. Just so that a bunch of rich kid hipster "film makers" can run around and play Production Assistant for minimum wage and then get daddy to pay their rent on their illegal loft inhabited by 10 other rich kids.

Anonymous said...

I live in Glendale and one night my girlfriend and I were laying in bed (modestly clothed)and I heard a roar outside. My blinds were arranged so you can see up at the sky but not in from across or below. Sure enough it was the avaiation patrol maybe 20 feet above my apt. (I live on the top floor)trying to get a peak at my girlfriend. When I went to the window they shined the spotlight into my apt. and took off. Who do you complain to when the people that are the ones who are supposed to protect you are the ones harrasing you?

georgetheatheist said...

No one. As Lindsay said, it's Fun City.