'Toxic' dust-up at Midtown apartment building
By DAREH GREGORIAN, NY Post
Shoddy construction work at a luxury Midtown building left residents with apartments covered in a dust that had higher levels of a carcinogen than what was found at Ground Zero, a report says.
Crystalline silica, a toxic substance found in mortar, permeated many of the apartments at L'Ecole, at 212 E. 47th St., during the facade work, said Steven Wagner, a lawyer for tenants who are now suing the building.
Microecologies Inc., an environmental-testing firm, reported finding "highly elevated levels" of the toxin in Steven Rosenhaus' 20th-floor apartment last May, seven months after he says he came home to find it blanketed in dust from the work.
"It was like there had been a snowfall," said Rosenhaus, a 53-year-old work-at-home consultant who suffered breathing trouble and eye irritation.
Calls and e-mails to the building's managing agent weren't returned. A rep for Extell, the developer overseeing the construction, did not return calls, nor did the lawyer for the building's ownership group. Building management, in court papers, has denied any wrongdoing.