Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Jackson Heights Fire Ruled Accidental

NEW YORK (AP) -- Fire marshals say a malfunctioning boiler caused a weekend fire that ravaged a row of businesses in Queens.

The Fire Department said Tuesday that the blaze, which started in a furniture store, had been declared accidental.

Dozens of residents also were evacuated from a nearby apartment building during Saturday's fire in Jackson Heights.


Anonymous said...

Wel that was a quick and timely ruling.

georgetheatheist said...

How does a "malfunctioning" boiler cause a fire? Someone didn't put water in it?

Joe said...

Accidental ?
What kind of accident ?

What kind of boiler
is on the roof ?
This makes no sense.
Steam & forced water systems can don't operate on the roof or attic they are gravity downflow or crossflow

Anonymous said...

Dry Fire Accidents: Dry fire accidents are also called boiler meltdowns. These accidents occur when the boiler is allowed to operate without adequate water in the boiler. Functioning low water cutoffs are essential to preventing dry fire accidents. Boiler damage can run from severe buckling and deforming of the boiler to complete meltdown or potential boiler explosion.

Excessive Pressure Accidents: Excessive pressure is potentially the most lethal form of boiler accident. These accidents occur when the boiler can no longer contain the excessive pressure allowed to build in the boiler. The operator control, high pressure limit, and the pressure relief valve need to fail before these accidents can occur. Excessive pressure accidents, even in small boilers, have been known to completely destroy a building.

Fuel Related Accidents: Fuel related accidents usually occur when the operator fails to purge combustible gases from the fire box before ignition is attempted.

Anonymous said...

Not enough water in the boiler in the middle of February?

Gary the Agnostic said...

Yeah. Sure.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they did their annual boiler inspections and who did them. Something wrong should have been found in 2009 and corrected.