Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Tribute to David Oats

I would like to take this opportunity to express my condolences to the family of David Oats.

I have had the honor and privilege of knowing and working with David on numerous projects regarding Flushing Meadows- Corona Park throughout the years.

Both David and I spent a great deal of time trying to bring back the beauty and grandeur of Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.

I first met David when he worked for a local Queens newspaper years ago as an editor. At the meeting, I had brought along a videotape which had captured many disgusting and deplorable conditions within Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, as well as various letters of complaint that I had written to City officials from several agencies.

Last year, David told me that the publisher of the first Queens newspaper that he had ever worked at had forbidden him from writing any negative reviews about one of the Parks & Recreation Department officials because of their longstanding friendship. This didn’t sit well with David, and he, in fact, told me that one of the reasons why he left his first Queens newspaper was because he felt that continuing to work there would jeopardize his journalistic integrity. In addition, David also felt that his first newspaper had been violating my Constitutional First Amendment right to free speech, and was trying to censor me from exposing the truth about that Parks & Recreation Department official and the ongoing problems in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. When David joined his second Queens newspaper, he was allowed to write the truth about what was happening in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park and my quest to correct the wide variety of ongoing problems that plagued the park.

Both David and I were very passionate about Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, and we both felt that we needed to fix the problems. Even though we were met with plenty of resistance, we were, nonetheless, able to rise above it, and accomplish as much as we could.

David was one of the few people who always believed in me and stood up for me. He was a true pioneer and an honest, decent human being.

David was a great asset to the Queens community and to the world. He will be sorely missed for his lifelong efforts and achievements to correct the wrongs of the world.

I will miss my dear friend, David Oats.

Rest in peace, dear friend. Your accomplishments were not in vain.

Sincerely,

Paul Priore
Parks and Community Activist

Photo from Forgotten NY

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the honor of meeting David once. He was a passionate, caring, down to earth, no-BS kind of guy. He had the guts to call an idiot an idiot and he did so regularly. But he didn't just heave criticism. He knew his facts, he did his homework and he always intelligent and articulate. The city desperately needs more people like David.

Anonymous said...

Last year, David told me that the publisher of the first Queens newspaper that he had ever worked at had forbidden him from writing any negative reviews about one of the Parks & Recreation Department officials because of their longstanding friendship.
-----------

Its called a clubhouse. And this boro is run like a plantation.

And this blog is a big step at giving Queens back to the citizens.

dave in milwaukee said...

This man was a true "mensch" who was not afraid to take on the "shtunks" in power. A good man who fought the good fight. Rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

If I were in power, the NYS Pavilion or the abandoned boathouse would be renamed after David Oats. Queens being Queens, it is more likely that a retired politician's name will be chosen for a park name, rather than Oats.

Chris in Cleveland said...

I was saddened to hear of David's passing, and send my thoughts and prayers to his family. I've followed the goings-on in Flushing Meadow Park since moving back to Ohio in 1976. Back then, the Park was run down -- getting the Parks Department to listen to new ideas was really tough! Although not a close friend, David was one to respect -- Queens and the City of New York have lost someone who truly cared.
--- Former Concessionaire
Roller Round Skating Rink
New York State Pavilion
Flushing Meadow Park
1970 - 1974

Chris in Cleveland said...

I was saddened to learn of David’s passing. Although not a close friend, David was one to respect. I have followed the news articles pertaining to Flushing Meadow Park since moving back to Ohio in 1976. Back in the ‘70’s, the Park was run down, and David worked to improve the entire area – in those days, it was very tough to get the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation to listen to new ideas! Queens and the City of New York have lost someone who truly cared!
-- Former Concessionaire
Roller Round Skating Rink
New York State Pavilion
1970 - 1974