Sunday, February 10, 2008

Marty and the mobster

One of the 62 reputed Gambino wiseguys busted by the feds last week dished up political campaign money along with the oysters and rigatoni at his popular Brooklyn eatery.

'WISEGUY' DISHED OUT CAMPAIGN $$ TO POLS

Joseph Chirico, 63, owner of the Marco Polo Ristorante on Court Street in Carroll Gardens, last June gave $4,950 to Borough President Marty Markowitz, who is said to be weighing a mayoral run in 2009.

Markowitz expressed surprise at the allegations against a man he called a friend.

"I know there are many people who live two lives, but I'd be shocked if this winds up being true. He is such a caring man," said the Brooklyn beep, who is barred by term limits from seeking re-election.

"I obviously am unaware if Joe is involved in any of the allegations being leveled against him, but I do know he has been a great friend, a partner for many Brooklyn events and a prince among men," Markowitz said.

"He has done too much good for Brooklyn for me to be wishy washy when it comes to speaking about his character. I always stand by my friends and I pray he is ultimately proven innocent."

7 comments:

verdi said...

So, it's "CROOKLYN" !
Wadda ya expect ? It's business as usual.
Marty's probably hooked up too!

And money, after all,
is the mother's milk of politics!

Or should we say olive oil?

georgetheatheist said...

Don't you all love the Markowitz- inspired "Welcome to Brooklyn" signage that you see on the roadways (e.g. "How Sweet It Is!"). Why can't Helen Marshall be at least as creative as Markowitz?

["Welcome to Queens! ...(Fill in the rest)..."]

Queens Crapper said...

"Welcome to Queens: Manhattan's dumping ground since 1898!"

Anonymous said...

"How tweeded we is!"

Anonymous said...

"Stifle yourself!"

Anonymous said...

Oh we are shocked!

Who could ever guess!

Oh me oh my!

I fell off a Christmas Tree!

Yea, how many times can these guys feign surprise?

Anonymous said...

They like to pick on the nie guys that are friendly with the poitics..the new papers cant get enough of gossip! what a joke!