A traditional Haitian holiday soup left unattended on a stove likely sparked a deadly fire that killed a couple and their relative, fire officials said Thursday.
Louise Jean-Charles, 59, her husband, Napoleon Michel, 69, and 37-year-old Nadia Donnay were unconscious inside the apartment when firefighters arrived minutes before midnight.
They were pronounced dead at hospitals.
Jean-Charles’s son, Sergeory Jean-Charles, 36, told the Daily News that the dish was called Soup Joumou, a spicy pumpkin soup they make every year.
It’s served on Jan. 1—the anniversary of Haiti’s liberation from France.
“It’s a New Year’s tradition,” the distraught son told the newspaper.
And then this happened:
"This woman was upset NYPD would not allow her to enter the burning building with her infant and proceeded to assault the officer."