Thursday, May 2, 2013

Dan decides to not run for re-election

From CBS New York:

A city councilman charged in a corruption case that has rocked New York politics said Wednesday he won’t run for re-election after being accused of taking bribes to help a would-be mayoral candidate try to get on the ballot.

Councilman Daniel Halloran said Wednesday that he wouldn’t seek to keep his Queens seat in November’s election so he could focus on exonerating himself.

“Regrettably, I must now focus my attention on clearing my name and restoring my reputation,” the one-term Republican said in a statement. “I have concluded that it is impossible for me to properly do these things and take on the enormous demands of a political campaign.”

Halloran’s colleague City Council Speaker Christine Quinn said Tuesday afternoon she would urge Halloran to think hard and soon about whether he should step down immediately.

“The decision that Councilmember Halloran has made is the right one,” Quinn told reporters including WCBS 880′s Rich Lamb.

“The councilmember, as I understand it, is not resigning. He’s going to stay in his seat. I think he needs to really think about, in light of the wise decision he finally made, whether there’s more he actually needs to do for his constituents because I can’t imagine he’s very focused on them or very much in his district office delivering services to them,” Quinn said.

10 comments:

Broadway Baby said...

Reputation?
What kind of reputation will Halloran be trying to restore...the one as a horny adolescent goof ball with a God complex?

Shiver me timbers!

This man needs to be incarcerated...far away from doing any more harm to society.

I fully agree with speaker Quinn on this.
Dan should resign immediately.

Anonymous said...

Word on the street is that a local shell civic group leader is extremely nervous over his role in funneling money from Danny boy and passim it off as "payment" for "donated" landscaping around a certain sign.

If Danny sings how the world will crumble. Instead of talking to his friends and consulting with an attorney, he should sit down with the Feds and turn evidence in.

Save yourself boy-o and start making rainbow bars.

Anonymous said...

The epitome of sleaze...

Jerry Rotondi said...

This unfolding of events, concerning our councilman, are extremely distressing and sad.

Take a step back for a moment and consider.

I urge all of my fellow and sister voters out there,
to be extremely careful--regarding who you will be replacing Dan Halloran with.

We have an assortment composed of
a Donald Manes era hang-on--a developers' lobbyist--Halloran's chief of staff--etc. who have all thrown their hats into the ring.

The way I see it--from my 30+ years perspective as a community leader-activist is--that Paul Graziano is the only refreshingly honest candidate out there.

You can take that as my personal endorsement of his capability.
I can vouch for his integrity and fine character--having worked alongside him on many issues.

He has already gotten my family's campaign contribution, and will be getting our votes.

He's the only candidate who has a track record of having served our communities well.

I'm sorry to have to say this--but I cannot trust the other candidates who are running--to deliver the goods for us. Our good quality of life is at stake here, people--so do your research and choose wisely, please.

Of course, this is a "free country" and I respect any other choices you voters will be making.

In case any of you aren't familiar with my experience--here's a little background for you:

Served 2 terms as a trustee of the" Queens Historical Society"; former board member of the "Queensboro Preservation League"; past board member of the "Fort Totten Conservancy"; served with the "Coalition For A Planned Flushing Inc."; "4 Boroughs Preservation Group Inc."; block captain (and member), "Broadway Flushing Homeowner's Association Inc.";
assisted and testified for many community group's concerns.

Of course, many of you might already know me for my work (curently, acting president) of the "Committee To Save The RKO Keith's Theatre Of Flushing Inc."

NO, please--
I'm not running for ANY office--now or in the future.
I sincerely thank you for your time.

P.S.
I'm likewise--personally endorsing Tony Avella for borough president. He will bring change, for the better, to that office. Tony already has our family's campaign donations and will get our votes.

Anonymous said...

Al Centola for City Council!

Anonymous said...

Jerry wrote:

We have an assortment composed of a Donald Manes era hang-on--a developers' lobbyist--Halloran's chief of staff--etc. who have all thrown their hats into the ring.

Jerry, where does former (one-term) Assemblyman John Duane fit into that equation? I don't think he was ever tainted by anything before losing to Doug Prescott.

Jerry Rotondi said...

"A lackluster hack"!

Jerry Rotondi said...

P.S.
So was Doug Prescott, Padavan's lap dog.
Frank did the heavy lifting in my nabe.
That's why I always voted for Padavan.

But it was because of Halloran's behavior, that I switched my registration to Democrat.

Anonymous said...

Is it true that the City is paying disgraced Halloran $20,000 as a settlement for his run in with a ticket agent?

If so, the money should be confiscated and held until after his trial.

Anonymous said...

Is he going to consider serving on the Riker's Island Community Board?