Sunday, December 20, 2009

You don't have to go home but you can't squat here

From the NY Post:

A snoozing Brooklyn squatter, who felt so at home that he called the city to complain about the heat, picked a wild fight with the cops who rousted him.

The suspect's free ride at the $2,500-a-month Williamsburg pad came to an abrupt end Tuesday morning.

Officers tried to slap the cuffs on him, but Torres lost it, spitting, punching and kicking at them, sources said.

"Once I get out, I'm going to f - - - ing kill you," he allegedly told the landlord as he was hauled away.

He was charged with burglary, trespassing and resisting arrest, authorities said.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you got to watch out with these "squatter" stories too. I've lived in my rent-stabilized apartment for over twenties years as have some of my neighbors and the landlord portrayed us as "squatters" too.

Anonymous said...

for gods sakes, the landlord should pay him to be there. no one else wants to live there.

the monthly rent is inflated. if there was no heat and no water, how could they even charge rent?

Anonymous said...

Does anyone get it? He's breaking the law!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, don't be too sure he isn't a real tenant who was paying rent that was uncashed, thus the "squatting." Landlords will play tricks like making it impossible for you to get your mail, refusing to give leases, refusing to cash checks, all in a bid to make believe that you are a "squatter."

My landlord, whom I fondly refer to as, "Devil" spent months telling me that my downstairs neighbor of 40 years had moved out even though we saw him daily.

Saying things doesn't make it so.

Anonymous said...

Prolonged Squating can be bad for your knees.