Showing posts with label Kosciuszko Bridge. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Kosciuszko Bridge. Show all posts

Monday, October 9, 2023

Real public space for real people

 https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7_dxDnWwAA2Rc_?format=jpg&name=medium

GOVERNOR HOCHUL ANNOUNCES COMPLETION OF $17.8 MILLION PROJECT TO CONSTRUCT MASPETH PARK IN QUEENS

Park Provides New Community Space and Recreational Amenities Adjacent to the Kosciuszko Bridge

Governor Kathy Hochul today announced the completion of a $17.8 million project to construct Maspeth Park, the first park to be built in the western portion of Maspeth in Queens. The park, completed on schedule, is located within walking distance from surrounding residential neighborhoods, including Sunnyside and West Maspeth. The park includes numerous benefits for visitors to enjoy, such as a recreational area comprised of game tables, picnic tables, a basketball court, and adult fitness equipment. A new world-class skate plaza, designed for all skill levels, has also been constructed. The plaza provides professional sports lighting so that events can be held after dark. The basketball court will also serve as a multi-purpose venue with nighttime lighting and bleacher seating. Events will be held throughout the year and run by New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. The park was built on nearly one acre of underdeveloped land that was previously used by the state as a staging area during the construction of the new Kosciuszko Bridge, which was completed in 2019. The park is located adjacent to the Kosciuszko Bridge at the intersection of 43

Friday, May 13, 2022

City neglects park space on the Maspeth side of the Kosciuszko Bridge

https://queenspost.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/bridge.jpg

Queens Post 

At the Brooklyn base of the Kosciuszko Bridge a gleaming new park attracts visitors from around the world. On the Queens side they have anger and frustration.

Residents of Maspeth who were promised some green space instead got a bridge to nowhere.

In late 2008, as part of a project to reconstruct the Kosciuszko Bridge between Brooklyn and Queens, state officials determined a park could be built at the base of each side. Initial projections said it would be done by 2020.

The state Department of Transportation completed the $873 million renovation of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway’s span over Newtown Creek in 2019.

Last year, officials cut the ribbon on the Under the K Bridge Park in Greenpoint, on the Brooklyn side of the suspension bridge.

But nearly 14 years after transportation officials identified a space for recreation in the Queens neighborhood of Maspeth, they’re not even close to completing a park there.

“What’s the delay?” said Tom Mituzas, a member of Queens Community Board 2, who has been asking for progress updates for the last two years. “Get it done.”

The designated park space, located on two parcels of land in an industrial area at 43rd Street and between 54th and 55th avenues, is currently shielded by a chain-link fence, a green tarp and signs that warn: “DANGER CONSTRUCTION AREA KEEP OUT.”

 Inside, mounds of rubble and construction equipment reveal scant signs of progress on the nearly one acre site, previously used as a staging area for the bridge’s construction.

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Troubled bridge over water

NY Post

 Metal-and-concrete shields that are supposed to protect the Kosciuszko Bridge from terrorists are being held together by nylon straps — following claims that the job was botched by an allegedly crooked contractor, The Post has learned.

Photos shot by The Post show that the shields surrounding all 56 cables on the Queens-bound side of the bridge appear to have been reinforced with black strapping, with some shields also showing discoloration where other staps were replaced.

A federal suit filed earlier this year alleged the anti-terror armor was plagued by “aggressive corrosion” and “severe delamination and separation of the parts” that posed “a severe and imminent threat to public safety, the implications of which cannot be overstated.”

The Post counted a total of 339 black ratchet straps cinched around the two-part shields, some of which had lengthwise gaps between the pieces that were nearly 2 inches wide.

One device was being secured with 14 straps, and several shields were marked by a white, chalky buildup around their lower edges.

 Repairs also appeared to have been made along at least one cable, with the gaps in the armor filled in with some sort of caulking.

The conditions on the bridge — which was replaced last year at a cost of $873 million — appeared worse than in March, when The Post revealed that three metal straps had been installed around one of the shields.

 

Monday, March 2, 2020

Kosciuszko Bridge is not prepared for a terror attack and it's design was stolen according to lawsuit.


https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2020/03/kosciuszko-bridge-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=915

NY Post

A botched job of terror-proofing the new Kosciuszko Bridge has left its cables vulnerable to attack — and bumbling contractors even posted information online that all but provides a blueprint for would-be bombers, a blockbuster suit alleges.

Meanwhile, preventable “aggressive corrosion” of the shielding that’s supposed to protect the span’s 112 cables could cause them to break on their own — or send the metal-and-concrete armor tumbling onto the heavily trafficked overpass connecting Brooklyn and Queens, the court papers claim.
“These failings create a severe and imminent threat to public safety, the implications of which cannot be overstated,” according to the suit.

The alarming claims are part of a suit brought by Maryland-based armor manufacturing company Hardwire LLC alleging theft of trade secrets by its former vice president and program manager of bridge security, Irvin “Skip” Ebaugh IV.

The FBI has an active and ongoing criminal investigation into the alleged rip-off and Ebaugh’s work on the Kosciuszko or “K Bridge,” according to the suit Hardwire filed last month in Baltimore federal court.
 
The suit seeks more than $39.6 million in damages from Ebaugh and his company, Infrastructure Armor LLC, for allegedly using Hardwire’s technology to underbid the firm and win a contract for the Kosciuszko job — without having the expertise to properly manufacture and install the cable shields.
 
“As a result, Ebaugh and IA’s armor work at the K Bridge is critically flawed and creates a severe and imminent danger to the public and those that use and work on the bridge spans,” the suit charges.

Update: Skippy returned to do a little "upgrading".

NY Post

The contractor accused of botching the installation of protective shields around the new Kosciuszko Bridge’s cables was spotted installing a metal strap around one of the anti-terror devices on Monday.
 
Photos shot by The Post show Irvin “Skip” Ebaugh IV and another worker standing on an elevating work platform as they cinch down one of three straps on a shield whose sections don’t appear flush along their length.
 
The apparent repair effort came hours after The Post exclusively revealed Ebaugh faces a $39.6 million suit for allegedly stealing trade secrets from a former employer that he underbid to get the cable-armor job.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Weigh in on new park for Nowhere's Land

The New York State Department of Transportation’s (NYSDOT) Kosciuszko Bridge Project includes open space opportunities, including development of a new public park in Queens. The location of the new park, which was selected in conjunction with the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation and approved by Queens Community Board #2, is approximately bounded by 43rd Street, 55th Avenue, 54th Avenue and the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (see map below). Design of the new park will begin this year, and it’s anticipated it will be completed between 2020 and 2021. The new Brooklyn-bound bridge currently under construction will include a bikeway/walkway that will touch down on Laurel Hill Boulevard at 54th Road, a short distance from the new park.

The Queens park consists of two (2) parcels, located north and south of 54th Road. The smaller parcel (approximately 8,000 square feet) and the larger parcel (approximately 24,000 square feet) will provide opportunities for a variety of active and passive features. The new park will include a comfort station. To identify those features that would be most suitable for the area, we would like the input of the local community and other potential users of this destination park.

Click here for survey.

Monday, October 2, 2017

Final goodbye to the old Kosciuszko Bridge


From PIX11:

New York's old Kosciuszko Bridge between Brooklyn and Queens was brought down on Sunday morning with a controlled demolition.

Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo was among those watching as the span came down.

The eastbound span of the new Kosciuszko Bridge opened in April. The second span is scheduled to be finished by 2020.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Kosciuszko, meet Pulaski

I've seen plenty of photos of the old Kosciuszko passing under the new one and it sailing below the Brooklyn Bridge but George the Atheist had a pretty interesting perspective from the raised Pulaski Bridge and other vantage points. And the old photo at the top of his post looks 50 years old but it was only taken 4 years ago.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Documenting the last days of the old Kosciuszko Bridge


"Remembering the old Kosciuszko Bridge before the demolition. How many frustrating hours of New York traffic did you spend in your life on this old metal rusted bridge? A lot and we hated every minute of it. Now that its gone in a way we are happy to see it go but are sad at the same time. We will always remember this green metal bridge. She served us well. May she go down in history. Enjoy this drone aerial video to remember the history of this fine bridge as we look to the future. I took my time to make this video for all of you my fellow New Yorkers and for anyone else out there who relates."

Friday, April 28, 2017

Kosciuszko Bridge: Out with the old, in with the new


From CBS 2:

The first span of the new Kosciuszko Bridge connecting Brooklyn and Queens is open to traffic.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo marked the opening of the first span Thursday night with a dazzling LED light show synchronized to music.

The governor gave the audience a quick lesson on the correct pronunciation of the bridge’s name, that has long been a tongue twister and a headache for New Yorkers because of its constant traffic backups.

“I spent my childhood going back and forth across the bridge with my family,” Cuomo said. “The first time I heard my father use expletives was on this bridge.”

The new bridge is the first of two spans replacing the old, 78-year-old bridge connecting Greenpoint, Brooklyn and Maspeth, Queens. Traffic will go in both directions until the construction of the second span is complete, expected to be early 2020.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Kosciuszko Bridge will open this week


From NBC 4:

The first span of the project to replace the aging Kosciuszko Bridge is opening to drivers this week, and News 4's Andrew Siff got an exclusive look at the 800-pound original plaque that will mark the new bridge's opening along with Gov. Cuomo. But drivers shouldn't expect a major change in traffic congestion there for a few years -- here's why.

The bridge will open with a light show Thursday night.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Locals concerned about Kosciuszko Bridge implosion

From NY1:

"We look forward to the opening of our new bridge, but we got to make sure that the air quality, and the quality for our communities — again as the borough president said — is our first concern," said Tommy Torres, the district leader, of the 53rd Assembly District.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office announced last week plans to blow up the old span this summer, after the first phase of the new Kosciuszko opens in the spring.

The controlled implosion is supposed to speed up construction of the second phase by at least seven months.

"We want to save our waterways, we want to save the air quality in this community," Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams said at a Greenpoint press conference. "We don't want to take the giant steps forward that we have taken just to take three steps back."

Local groups say they also are upset because they heard about the demolition plan through the media, and had no input.

"We've enjoyed a pretty transparent relationship with New York State DOT [department of transportation]," said local activist Laura Hoffman. "And we just don't want that ruined."

"I sit on the area board for the Kosciusko Bridge. I've sat on that board for the past five years," said Gerald Esposito of Brooklyn Community Board 1. "There was no mention of implosion or explosion or any other form of dynamiting the structure."

"If a significant decision is being made about an explosion, the community should be consulted," said Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney, who represents parts of Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Gov's gonna blow up the bridge


From CBS 2:

Cuomo met with the team building the new Kosciuszko Bridge, an outdated 78-year-old span that gives new meaning to the term traffic tie-ups. Yet as the $555 million first phase nears completion, the Governor tells CBS2 that blowing up parts of the bridge is exactly what he’s going to do at some point this summer.

The governor says the demolition will save seven to nine months.

When the project is completed in 2020, it will actually be two bridges connecting Brooklyn and Queens — one in each direction. Luckily for commuters, their relief comes in April because when the first bridge is done, traffic will be rerouted and the old bridge will go up in smoke.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

The final moments of Civic Virtue in Queens


The statue was transported down Queens Blvd...

To the LIE...

And eventually over the Kosciuszko Bridge to Brooklyn.

Video available on George The Atheist's blog: While You Slept

And here he is in his new home:

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Kosciuszko Bridge project to start next year


From the Daily News:

Commuters weary of the all-too-familiar sight of the sea of brake lights atop the Kosciuszko Bridge can rejoice.

Construction on a new bridge is now expected to begin in spring 2013 — a year ahead of schedule, thanks to $460 million made available for the job by Gov. Cuomo’s New York Work initiative.

The 73-year-old bridge, which carries the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway over the Newtown Creek, qualified for the money in part because it is on the state’s “deficient bridge” list.

The initial phase of construction will build an eastbound lane next to the existing bridge, according to the state Department of Transportation, the agency overseeing the project. The 1.1-mile bridge is expected to be done in 2017 and will cost about $800 million.

When completed, two new spans with a total of nine vehicle lanes and paths for pedestrians and bikes will replace the original structure.

It’s the single biggest project made possible through the New York Works program, an initiative to create jobs while repairing the state’s infrastructure.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Owning condemned property is really no fun


From the Daily News:

A Queens businessman is suing the state for the money it still owes him after taking his Maspeth property through eminent domain eight months ago.

The state Transportation Department bought Sass Sheena’s 43rd St. lot and commercial building in June to demolish it and make way for the new Kosciuszko Bridge, which will replace the current aging structure.

But red tape has held up his $2.8 million payment — money he said he needs to pay off bills and invest in a new business.

Sheena bought the building and a school supply company operating there in 2001. He later sold the company and lived off rent payments from his commercial tenants.

“At this point, I have no income,” said Sheena, 49, who is married with four kids. “It’s just one big mess that I got into.”

Sheena filed a lawsuit last month claiming the state is required by law to expedite payment.

The state has instead put the funds into a special comptroller’s account, according to Sheena’s attorney, Michael Rikon. Property owners must petition the state Court of Claims for access to the account, a costly and lengthy process, Rikon said.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

City won't help Karp to stay


From the Daily News:

A third generation manufacturer that is losing its Maspeth property to eminent domain is looking into leaving the city, citing a lack of competitive financial incentives to stay.

Karp Associates, which employes about 115 Queens workers, is considering moving to Long Island or New Jersey, company officials said. Karp officials said they hope to make a decision before the end of the year.

The company is the latest in a long line of manufacturers that have left the city or are mulling a move. That's due to a combination of high taxes, rents and labor costs in the city coupled with the lack of available space to expand.

The problem is compounded by the generous relocation packages other states are offering.

"We met with with countless agencies, and everyone seemed to have the best intentions," said owner Adam Gold, whose family founded Karp in 1957.

He added, "I wasn't even offered the same incentives that a business from New Jersey would be offered...to move to New York City."

The state Transportation Department seized Karp's land in September 2010 to make way for a new bridge to replace the aging Kosciuszko Bridge.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Greenpoint and Maspeth to get screwed together!

Private Funding Sought for Kosciuszko
from the Crain's Insider - March 11, 2011

The newly confirmed state Department of Transportation commissioner said a private-public partnership could help pay for the $800 million replacement of the Kosciuszko Bridge. Joan McDonald said she hasn't explored revenue options. Tolls would likely be needed to create revenue for private developers to pay for a new bridge connecting Greenpoint and Maspeth.

To all the selfish Greenpointers (no, not Miss Heather) who think it's a great idea to dump your unwanted depot on Maspeth, take a good hard look at who your real enemy is. Mine enemy is thine.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Everything you want to know about the Kosciuszko Bridge project

Kosciuszko letter
Letter from NYSDOT informing the public of the result of public feedback at the Kosciuszko Bridge sessions.