
NY Post
Two of the Big Apple’s top transportation honchos — known for talking
tough at traffic scofflaws — need speed themselves, data reviewed by
The Post reveals.
Department of Transportation Commissioner Ydanis Rodriguez and his
baby mama Christina Melendez, a top director at the Department of
Education, have racked up a staggering 66 traffic violations totaling at
least $5,600 in fines the past decade using the same vehicle –
including 14 since 2019 for speeding in school safety zones, according
to city records.
The chair of the City Council’s Transportation Committee,
Councilwoman Selvena Brooks-Powers (D-Queens), has cruised in a family
car that racked up 25 tickets over the past 16 months, including 20 for
speeding near schools and another for blowing a red light, records show.
It’s unclear how many of the summonses were handed out on Melendez’s Nissan Rogue when Rodriguez was behind the wheel.
As DOT commissioner for the past two years, he’s enjoyed the perk of having a city vehicle that comes with an assigned driver.
“Ydanis Rodriquez, who gets chauffeured in a giant SUV, and Selvena
Brooks-Powers are prime examples of ‘do as I say, not as I do,'” fumed
Councilman Robert Holden (D-Queens).
They’re “hypocrites who act as if laws don’t apply to them,” he added.
Other lefty pols with a long history of being speed demons who’ve racked up plenty of traffic violations include Comptroller Brad Lander, Public Advocate Jumaane Williams, and Manhattan Borough President Mark Levine.
Rodriguez regularly drove Melendez’s Nissan to work at City Hall when
he was a Manhattan councilman — even obtaining a parking placard for it
— but he and his former domestic partner, who share two daughters, have
since split, according to sources.
The vehicle was slapped with six speeding tickets during the final
five months leading up to Rodriguez’s January 2022 appointment by Mayor
Adams as DOT commissioner.
Since then, the Nissan has received six parking tickets – including
two for misusing a parking permit—and was caught speeding in July and
November of last year.
On March 2, 2023, the vehicle was slapped with two tickets
totaling $160 for illegally parking in a spot in lower Manhattan on
Warren Street reserved for state senators and assembly members.
The traffic agent noted in the tickets that the car was flashing
a Department of Education parking permit. Melendez works nearby as the
DOE’s $195,000-a-year executive director of Family and Community
Engagement.
A Post photographer on Thursday spotted Melendez getting into the vehicle, which was illegally parked
Rodriguez, who has cheered congestion pricing and speed cameras and has helped promote City Hall’s anti-car agenda, earns $243,171 and now gets a free ride to work in a city vehicle.
He has not driven his ex’s car since being appointed commissioner two
years ago “and is confident he has not received any [traffic]
violations in this role,” said DOT spokesman Vincent Barone.
The DOE and Melendez declined to comment.
Brooks-Powers has been a longtime proponent of using speed cameras to help curb traffic accidents and has pushed legislation seeking to reward New Yorkers who report hit-and-run drivers fleeing deadly crashes.
However, a 2019 Nissan the pol has said she shares with her husband Demetrius
Powers II racked up 25 tickets totaling $1,395 in fines since September
2022 — including the 20-speed cam violations, records show.

NY Post
Some New York City agencies are using the viral image of Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelce screaming at head coach Andy Reid during the Super Bowl to push their policy agendas.
“OUTDOOR DINING TAKES UP LESS THAN .5% OF STREET PARKING IN NEW YORK
CITY. PUBLIC SPACE IS FOR EVERYONE, NOT JUST CARS,” posted the city Department of Transportation Monday on X, along with a photo of Kelce jawing on the sidelines at a stone-faced Reid.
Some critics slammed DOT for using the photo of Taylor
Swift’s boyfriend barking at his coach to drive home anti-car policies
advocated by Transportation Alternatives and other advocacy groups.
“Instead of focusing on filling potholes and installing speed bumps
in a timely manner, the DOT prefers to tweet nonsense that New Yorkers
couldn’t care less about,” fumed Councilman Robert Holden (D-Queens).
“The Department of Transportation Alternatives needs a major change in
leadership.”
DOT spokesman Nick Benson quipped that he’s “notoriously bad at lip
reading, but I think it’s a safe assumption that Travis Kelce was
vociferously expressing his support for outdoor dining in New York City.”
The guy photographed above is Vin Barone, he's in charge of media at the Department Of Transportation Alternatives which includes their obnoxious twitter account (which is also stupidly known as X).