Gov. Andrew Cuomo is quietly keeping his finger on New York’s “Pause” button — essentially extending stay-at-home and mask-wearing directives to June 7.
However, any of the state’s seven regions will still be able to phase in re-openings sooner if they meet a series of benchmarks.
Those benchmarks include a decline in hospitalizations and deaths, and a 30 percent vacancy rate in ICU and regular hospital beds as safeguard against a sudden spike in sicknesses.
“Yesterday’s Executive Order extended the underlying legal authority for the Emergency Order, but did not change the text of any of the directives in NY ON PAUSE and so the expiration date of May 15 still stands until further notice,’ the secretary to the governor, Melissa DeRosa, said in a statement.
“At that time, new guidance will be issued for regions based on the metrics outlined by Governor Cuomo earlier this week.”
But a state legal source told The Post that the new directives indeed extend the pause until June 6 or 7.
“The order specifically states it is extending dates for 30 days,” the source said. “It’s fair to conclude it extends the closures, which are directives.”
The ban on non-essential gatherings continues as the state’s coronavirus death toll exceeded 21,000 on Saturday.